Thursday, February 19, 2009

Juvenile delinquency here we come

Yesterday morning I got a phone call from Tysen's teacher. Again, the immediate worry is severe head trauma. If only I could be so lucky. This time she called to tell me Tysen has been acting up in class the last week or so. Here's a breakdown of the examples I was given:

1. The other kids were excited to listen to some CD one of the parents sent in. I think the Jonas Brothers were involved. Tysen said something to the effect of that being a dumb idea. Is this a problem I should be concerned about or be proud of my child being confident enough to voice an opinion in opposition to the masses?

2. Tysen has been somewhat unwilling to go to 1st grade reading group. After talking with him, I discovered that he has to miss recess to attend the reading group. Well, duh. He's 6. Of course he'd rather go to recess with his friends. Heck, I'd rather go to recess than read too!

3. At some point during the day, the classroom was quiet (I'm assuming quiet is a relative term when used in reference to a Kindergarten class room). Tysen apparently blurted out "holy crap!" Again, should I be worried about this or be grateful is wasn't some other choice 4 letter word?

We talked to him at length last night about our expectations of him at home and in class and he's been punished (no calling Grandma Day for a week). I'm still not sure what to make of the whole thing. Parenting isn't my strong suit. Any ideas?

8 comments:

The McCauls said...

All of thee above are not so bad to me, sounds like your doing a good job so far:)

Haylee said...

I'm voting that you're on the right track. Sounds like you've got a pretty well adjusted kid, and a little over the top teacher.

The Strickland Gang said...

I think he is just fine. I think that sometimes a teacher can't handle when a kid is too smart or has finally outsmarted them. We have been having the same sort of things going on with our oldest and I think these days some teachers just aren't compassionate enough. I think you are doing just fine and I hope he gives more teachers a run for thir money. Go Tysen.

Jodie said...

Not so bad...at all. I actually can't believe she called for about those "issues?!" Really? I agree with you - OF COURSE he's resisting sacrificing his recess for a reading group. And voicing his highly-educated opinion to his classmates is a non-issue. In fact, he should be encouraged to do so, right? And finally, being part "Day" he should be congratulated that he didn't blurt out Holy %&*@ instead.

There you have it.

You go, girl.

Mary said...

I'm surprised I didn't hear him screaming here in Utah when you banned Grandma Day!

Grant and Candice said...

If that is the worst behavior he engages in in his lifetime I think you are doing a great job. He is just fine...and he's six.

joanna said...

I agree with "Grant and Candice" (and everyone else). Tysen is a good kid.
The topic of this post is great, though, because your kid (my nephew) is at the point where he has to learn to conform to some extent, and not complain about it. I'm not saying this is bad or good, just the point in time where we all have to learn to live in society. He's supposed to do exactly what he's told in school without complaining.
His teacher is probably comparing him to how he's acted before. Maybe he was very, very quiet (?) and now he's saying, "Hey, wait, I'd rather go to recess!" and he's comfortable enough to express himself (whatever "holy crap" was about.) So, his teacher is wondering why he is more vocal now(maybe)? I'm just thinking 'out loud.'
In my opinion, not calling Grandma Day is more traumatic a punishment for Tysen than his behavior deserves. Maybe not calling his friends on the phone would be more on the "right" level of discipline. (Again, just my opinion. There's really no "right" unless you beat him with a stick, and that would be "not right". . . :))
Regardless, Tysen will continue to be a good kid.

Jayme said...

I am with you... I think there are WAY worse things that your kid could be doing slash saying!