Tuesday, August 12, 2008

The Olympics Continue

Sorry folks. You're just going to have to bear with me for the next 3 weeks or so going on and on about the games. Just think - they only come along every 4 years, so once it's over you don't have to deal with my pontificating on about them for a long time. Some of you will inevitably feel compelled to remind me that the winter games are only 2 years away, but I'll just let you know in advance that I don't get so excited about winter sports so you may be spared my deluges during the winter Olympics in 2010.

For those of you who don't know, I was OBSESSED with competitive gymnastics when I was younger. I competed until I was going into high school and figured out I was too old (yes, at the ripe old age of 14) to continue with any real hope of reaching the elite level and I redirected my efforts into cheerleading and competing there. But, in my formative years, I was into gymnastics big time. So I hold a special place in my heart for those young girls.

My favorite gymnast was Kim Zmeskal. She was amazing! I fell in love with her during the 1991 World Championships where she was the all-around champion. I loved her work ethic and she had the most beautiful body type for gymnastics. She was my hero. My heart absolutely broke in the '92 Barcelona games when she fell off the beam during her Compulsary routine. I'm pretty sure I shed a tear or two over it. (check out the video by clicking HERE) While she was big on the world scene, so was Shannon Miller. The two of them remind me so much of Shawn Johnson and Nastia Lukin on the current USA team.

Kim Zmeskal - 1992 team

Shawn Johnson - 2008 team

Shannon Miller - 1992/1996 teams

Nastia Lukin - 2008 team

If you take away the vast difference in hair styles (hey, it was the early 90's - big bangs were in), you can see a resemblance, no?

If you live under a rock, you may not know that the women's team finals are on NBC tonight. I'm sure you'll have my commentary on the results in the hear future. Go USA!!!

3 comments:

Kim said...

I'm right up there with you in the Olympic Gymnastic obsession category! It's my favorite thing to watch and I'm just killing time until the Women's Team Finals start TONIGHT!

Janey and Jill said...

I love your Olympic posts! I didn't realize you went to the Atlanta Games! You lucky little punk!

When I was little I had recorded a gymnastics meet with Shannon Miller in it on a VHS cassette and I must have watched it like 8,000 times. I LOVED it.

joanna said...

This is a combo-comment.

#1. I LOVE TYSEN! He is awesome.

#2. Remember when we got Kim Zmeskal's autograph...? Or was it some other gymnasts? It was at the world? championships. Ok, maybe I'm making this up. Where's my Pepsi?