Saturday, August 9, 2008

Olymic Mania!


Let me first say that I LOVE THE OLYMPICS!!!! I love everything about it! Even synchronized swimming! Seriously, I'm a little obsessed. I cleared out everything on my DVR so I could record every event they televise. The opening ceremonies were last night and it was, in a word, AMAZING!!! I have new respect for China! The artistic portion was so beautiful! My favorite part was near the beginning when they had 2,008 people beating on drums (some sort of ancient instrument in China) and the drums were lighting up and the whole thing was choreographed and it was just totally mind-blowing!


I can't wait for the gymnastics to start on TV tonight. When the winter Olympics were in SLC, we lived there and the whole vibe around town was totally electrifying. We got to go to some ski jumping competitions with our friends April and Mason.

In the 1996 Atlanta games, my Uncle was one of the vice presidents of the Olympic committee and so we got to go back to where I spent my childhood in the ATL and we had tickets to EVERYTHING!!! We got to see all the dream team 2.0 games and tons of track & field and water sports. Watching swimming live is awesome!

And of course, we had box seats to ALL of the gymnastics! I ate up every single minute of it! In the last rotation of the team competition when the US was on vault and Dominique Mocianeau had fallen and Kerri Strug was up last and she broke her ankle on her first vault and had to do her second one and landed it on one foot - I know I'm lame, but every time I see a clip of that on TV I start to tear up. It was so emotional! And that was what locked in the US team gold.


During the medal ceremony, her coach, Bela Karoli, carried her onto the podium and they raised the flag and played the national anthem. Seriously, there's nothing like that in the world! To be there when your country's team wins gold.


The olympic spirit just has a very special place in my heart, so everyone watch it!

2 comments:

joanna said...

I thought the opening ceremonies last night were AAAMMAAAAZINGGGG. The Chinese have a culture of art and intelligence so of course putting them in charge reaps great results.

The Greenwoods said...

I am totally with you Emily!!!! I FREAKIN' LOVE THE OLYMPICS!!!! Did you watch last night during the men's swimming relay?!?!!? I was screaming and hitting Andy--even though he was asleep! That'll teach the French to talk crap about us again!!! I cannot get enough of the games!!! I stay up every night until they are over and watch all of the events! (And my DVR is chalk full!) And the opening ceremonies were absolutely AMAZING!! I was blown away by the the amount of people that participated. Okay--sorry this is so long--but thanks for your post!! I'm glad I'm not the only person that loves the Olympics with a passion!