Sunday, August 17, 2008

More Olympic crap

So, I'm sure everyone has been waiting with baited breath for my comments on the women's team competition. And sorry to disappoint but I'm going to go ahead and plead the 5th on that one. You know - if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all, right?

So moving on to the women's all around competition. For me, the event started off rocky. I had TiVo'd the event so that I didn't have to stay up all night watching it. I had every intention of watching it on Friday while I was home from work. On Thursday night as I was reading in bed, Toby was watching ESPN and it SHOWED THE WINNERS!!!! I was SOOOO PISSED!!!! There literally aren't words for how upset I was. Anywho, I finally got over it and watched the competition last night. And it was impressive, of course. I was going for Shawn Johnson because of the aforementioned resemblance to Kim Zmeskal, but alas, she did not win. Nastia Liukin did great even though she wasn't my favorite to win.


But I have to say this: what's with the pink leotard?!? Seriously? You can't find a red, white, or blue ensemble anywhere in your gymnastic wardrobe? I'm sure Adidas would have been happy to whip up something just for her in our country's colors, but no - we got to see PINK?!?!? A combination of 2 of the country's colors doesn't count as being patriotic. I'm a little disheartened by this and perhaps its a petty nuisance, but it really bothered me. Anyone else? Just me?

5 comments:

joanna said...

Ya, like, why does Nastia have pink when she's from the U.S.? I keep thinking she's from Russia or something.

Anyhoo...I DVR'd last night's men's swimming because I was too tired to stay up and I knew M. Phelps was trying to get his 8th gold and beat the world record. Well, this afternoon I was watching the start of it, and Kris came downstairs and I told him I was watching to see if Phelps got his 8th gold and Kris said, "Oh, he did." I was like......WHAAAAAA! You ruined it for me!!! But it was kind of funny. He felt SO BAD that he told me the ending. I'll tell him Toby ruined the gymnastics for you, too.

Anthony and Christel said...

I have no clue how I found your blog, my wife loves blogs and was checking some out. I randomly clicked on a few different ones and here you guys are. Hope all is well, take care!

Janey and Jill said...

That's freaking hilarious! Great minds think alike!

Kim said...

First of all, who would name their kid Nastia? And second of all, I'm totally with you on the pink leotard thing. Whatever! I was rooting for Shawn, so I was bummed but at least the US went 1-2.

The Greenwoods said...

I thought of you Emily, during the finals of the women's all-around. Can you believe it?!?! I mean, besides the hideous blinding shade of pink--it was actually fun to watch--and it was good to see the U.S. make some gold in gymnastics this year.