Friday, August 29, 2008

I'm a . . . soccer mom?

I am officially a soccer mom. It's a little disconcerting. Tysen had his first soccer practice on Wednesday. Toby had a football game and so I had to take Audrey with me too. So here I am with my 5 year old hauling his soccer ball and water bottle down to the field and me pushing the baby in the stroller to watch practice. How uncomfortably normal is that?

I have always thought of myself as being a little unconventional. I am just slightly outside the proverbial box, so to speak. So being a soccer mom with 2 kids is just a little mainstream for me. Thank goodness there wasn't a minivan involved - I have close friends (April & Mason) who may have disowned me! I loved seeing Tysen out there having a good time with the other kids. He had a blast! So it will be fine and he will enjoy it, I'm sure. I just have to get past my own perceptions of myself, try to fit in, and possibly become a little more "normal" - perish the thought. Wish me luck!

6 comments:

Katie McCaul said...

That is funny! Enjoy it it is okay to be normal...I see the kids at our park practicing and can't wait until Reddek is old enough to play. I do think it would be hard however with another child in the mix. So way to go.

joanna said...

Oh, Em. You and I have always been the nontraditionalists. I'm thinking of changing my blog title. I have not yet experienced that kind of normalcy, but we will see what happens in the next few years. By the way, I'm prego.
Just joking.

Andersen Family said...

LOL you are too funny. Just so you know- I too will not speak with you if you get a mini-van. IMO-I think they are the ugliest things ever made. A freaking dust-buster. UGh

Jodie said...

Oh, Emily. I guess mainstreaming it for one season of soccer probably won't kill you...it'll ruin your reputation for sure, but it probably won't kill you. You're hilarious. Good luck with that!

The good ol Days said...

It's hard sometimes to think you fit into society. But usually we do just blend in. That's ok though cause you don't want to eat maggots or walk on hot coals just to be a little "different". It's all good. Just have fun sitting back and laughing AT the kids.

Kennedy, Brexton, Sadie, Dallin, Jumper said...

That just blows my mind that you guys have kids old enough to go to soccer practice. I am sure he is "Tough as Junk" just like his dad! Congrats on achieving soccer mom status.