Wednesday, September 3, 2008

I'm a nerd too

In keeping with my sister's theme of nerdiness I thought I would share a couple of stories about my exceeding dorkiness.

The first story happened a few years ago when I worked at my old firm in Provo (quick shout-out to Richards & Duckworth). I was working on a project with my friend/coworker, Heidi. We had been working on this client for a while and their QuickBooks file was a disaster because the in-house accountant though it was necessary to have ten million expense accounts and each of them had 5 million subaccounts. So it was taking us forever to go thru their general ledger. We were getting frustrated at all the extra work the other accountant had made for us by adding all these unnecessary accounts. And then we came across the motherload of useless accounts. It was under an account called "other" then the sub account was "other" and the account was called "other non-food items". Other:Other:Other non-food items. What kind of craziness is that? We just started cracking up. I'm sure you had to be there but it was hilarious!

The second story happened just last week at work. The whole firm eats lunch together each day in the conference room so we can go over any issues anyone is having, or so we can gossip about clients, whichever is more useful that day. So something came up about Batman at lunch and I said "Does Bruce Wayne file form 2106 for unreimbursed business expenses for mileage on the Batmobile?" It was hilarious - you may have to do tax work to think that's funny, but it totally is! And then we started into an amusing discussion about if Batman's expenses would go on his personal tax return at all or if they should be charitable contributions on Wayne Enterprises' tax return. Is the Batmobile being depreciated properly? I'm laughing right now - it was so funny!

When I come home and tell Toby my goofy stories, I think he might be a little ashamed of me. And I totally don't care!

4 comments:

Kim said...

You and Joanna crack me up! You're too funny!

joanna said...

Em, that is very nerdy and I think it's great! The Batman thing was especially funny. I remember you telling me about the Other:Other:Other-misc food a while back.

Jodie said...

All this time and I never knew what you did for a living! Now I do, thank you.

When I read your second story, I felt a little like Nemo's dad when the turtle Crush is telling him how to exit the East Australian Current..."I think he's trying to tell me something - you're really cute but I didn't understand a thing you said?!"

Anonymous said...

So I read this last night and I was laughing so hard I was crying. It's freakin' hilarious; I love the thing about Batman that's something I would totally do. But, I guess you have to be an accountant to understand why it's so amusing.