Saturday, January 9, 2010

Pattycake Pattycake Baker's Man

First off, let me lead you to a great post by one of my favorite bloggers. Click here to read a new favorite of mine. Moving on . . .

I'll repeat my earlier sentiment that I am not that great of a cook. I can bake fairly well, but baking & cooking are 2 very different things. I have found another great dish that's fairly easy to put together and would be excellent for a special night (anniversary, date night, etc) or for entertaining! I know I would serve it to my friends (if I had any).

Garlic Parmesan Chicken

Ingredients:
4 chicken breasts
4 Tbsp oil
1 tsp garlic powder (more or less to taste)
3/4 cup Italian breadcrumbs
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
salt & pepper

Directions (this is how I make it, edit as needed to do it your own way):
* preheat oven to 350 - I cover a cookie sheet (the kind with sides on it) with tin foil and place a cooling rack on top (the kind you cool cookies on) and spray the cooling rack with Pam - you could also use a broiling pan (this isn't totally necessary, you can use just a regular baking dish, but if the chicken sits up off the pan on the rack, then both sides get nice & crispy)
* pound the chicken breasts so they're all the same thickness (I don't have a fancy meat mallet so I put them in a gallon size baggie and use the hammer from the garage) - pat the chicken dry with paper towels - season both sides with salt & pepper and set chicken aside
* combine oil & garlic powder (I put the mixture on a dinner plate with high-ish sides & just swirl the stuff together with a fork)
* in a pie tin combine the breadcrumbs & parmesan - dip the seasoned chicken breasts in the oil mixture to coat both sides then dredge in the breadcrumb mixture to coat - place on the cooling rack & cookie sheet prepared before (if you have breadcrumbs left, pat them on top of the chicken once it's in the pan for extra breading)
* bake for 30 min or till juices run clear (if you don't pound your chicken thinner, you'll have to bake longer) - I serve with either spaghetti & red sauce if I'm feeling ambitious, or if I'm feeling lazy we eat it with instant garlic flavored mashed potatoes

Try it - you'll like it!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I live in Utah - I agree with your last post. I'm going to try your recipe tomorrow! It sounds great.