Ok, it's a total mommy blog. It was my kid's birthday, deal with it.
Tysen turned 7 in October. How is it that I have a 7 year old? Not sure about that one. Perhaps I was 12 when he was born. Yes, let's go with that.
We normally hesitate having big friend parties. Mostly because I have no patience whatsoever and I'm cheap. But he hasn't had a birthday party since he was 4 so I caved. He decided he wanted a Space themed party. Here's how it went:
I made super-cute invites with a pic from the NASA website of all the planets on the front. They turned out way better than I expected. I'm a little disappointed I didn't scrapbook something, but I work, ok. Give me a break.
First, all the kids played in the backyard for a while. This, I can totally handle. There are various sorts of construction materials in our backyard from improvements we've done since moving in. They were in 7th heaven playing in the yard. Luckily no one bled profusely, so we're all good.
Then, they took turns coming inside to make alien masks. Toby's nieces helped me cut out all the face and ear pieces and I painted all the antennae blue, red & green. The kids had fun and they all turned out cute!
Then, we rounded all the kids up and went outside for the flying saucer toss. My mom helped me make the flying saucers out of paper plates with a paper bowl hot-glued to the underside of the plate. They flew a lot farther than I expected!
After the flying saucers, we blew up film canister rockets. The kids thought that was really cool and again, it worked a lot better than I expected and no one lost an eye. I put that in the win column. Unfortunately, no great pics of that.
We took the kids inside where they played a meteor dart game. I made the dart board out of felt and puff paint. I also made the meteor out of a Styrofoam ball, tin foil & Velcro. It was pretty cute (and still up in my living room if anyone wants to play a round) Tysen opened presents and then it was time for the solar system cake I made. Seriously Martha Stewart, right? (PS don't google 'space cake' unless you keep Cannabis in your pantry)
When the kids left, they got to take home their masks as well as a "moon rock" made of coffee dough with a bouncy ball hidden inside along with crayons and a coloring book I made from pics I found online from the Space Program seen here. I was surprised how much the rocks really looked like actual rocks.
Tysen had fun, other than the one meltdown he had. I'm sure Tysen's favorite part was having Grandma & Grandpa Day come for his birthday! Overall I'd say it was successful. I felt even better about it after my drug-induced coma. Next year we're doing Chuckie Cheese.
We also had Halloween (like the rest of the country). Tysen wanted to be a vampire. I borrowed a Snow White costume from a co-worker for Audrey. She was obsessed with the headband. We had an added bonus of Kenlynne's hands and Tysen's hair being stained blue for a couple days from the black stuff we put in Tysen's hair. Thanks to Caryn & Rusty for taking Tysen to the ward party since Audrey was sick that day. As long as I'm mommy blogging, I'll mention that Tysen is playing soccer again this season and having a blast! This is my favorite picture of him because the look on his face makes me laugh and I think the kid in the green is picking his/her nose.
This is T with his best friend on the team, Nathaniel.
That's what's up with us for now. We're so interesting, right?
7 comments:
LOVE the cake GREAT job, so Martha!
Brayden's party year is this coming year, you can totally plan the whole thing ;)
My oldest was a vampire, too. He is going to be 8 in January and I am not old enough to have a child get baptized. Not sure how that happened. (I will probably be saying the same thing when he leaves on his mission.)
The party looks fabulous. Very creative. (My oldest hasn't had a friend birthday in quite a few years either. It stresses me out to much.)
Holy moly on the party, Emily! Very, very impressed if I may say so myself. I'll be re-visiting this here little post when Cru asks for a "friend party," heaven forbid.
It looks like the party went well. I think it is funny things worked better than you planned them to because it usually works the opposite way where everything turns out wrong. So good job luck was with you that day. And Tyesen and Audrey look so good in their costumes. I wish I was there for that. I miss everyone there so much!!
that looks like it was quite the party! Hope my kids don't ever see that blog post! You are such a party planner! Good job Ems!
(oh... the other two girls in the pics on my blog we met after high school. Danielle is from Juab and Natalie is from Salt Lake...so you are safe from "forgotten name syndrome" I don't think you know them :)
What a great party! Good job on everything. I am soo soo impressed. I love the halloween costumes and the soccer pictures!
Post a Comment