Saturday, August 29, 2009

Never say never

My 10 year high school reunion is next weekend. I'll spare you doing the complicated mathematics - that means I'm 28 years old. For some reason, having a reminder of how long it's been since I was a minor makes me remember of all the thinks I thought I would accomplish at that age. And, surprisingly, there are many things on my end-of-high-school-life's-to-do-list that I have been able to accomplish.

There's also that informal list I always kept filed away in the recesses of my brain of things I would NEVER EVER do. But let's be honest, I've done them. So here is the Reader's Digest version of the list of things that as recently as 10 years ago I said I'd never do and now I have.

I said I'd never . . .

  • get fat (what's this 'exercising' you speak of?)
  • yell at my kids (alright, I'm not the perfect mom as you all believed)
  • have my kids behave badly at the grocery store (obviously, my kids aren't perfect either, dang it)
  • yell at my husband (no one in this house is perfect)
  • tell my husband I wanted to kill him (with only the most affectionate use of sarcasm, of course)
  • let my kids wear 'crocs' (I still think they're fugly, but the kids love 'em & they're cheap so I've caved)
  • stop coloring my hair lighter (it's SOOO dark against my transparently white skin when it's the natural color, which I've now gone back to)
  • take an accounting class (how lame do you have to be to take accounting . . . oh, wait)
  • wait for/write to a missionary (kinda, sorta, we're going with it)
  • learn to like Ikea (yes, I've converted - darn those great prices!)
  • purchase clothing at Wal-Mart (come on, we've all done it)
  • move away from my parents (anyone remember that apartment my dad paid for for an entire school year that I refused to move into in college? good times)
  • have any need for products like Metamucil & Preparation H (come on mommies, don't pretend you don't know what I talkin' about)
  • go more than 2 days without shaving my legs (as long as it's not long enough to braid, I don't see an issue)
  • be super paranoid about safety & security like my mom (totally, totally guilty - it's normal to check the locks 18 times each night, right?)
  • live somewhere hot (Toby told me Phoenix was only mildly warmish)
  • can my own fruit, salsa, sauces, etc. (isn't that something grandmas do?)

Anyone else fail to live up to your "I Said I'd Never"s?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Emily,
I LOVE YOU.....hey I won't even talk about my list...to painful!!
Hopefully see you!!!

Mary said...

Haha! I don't know what's wrong with you... I've never done anything I've never said I wouldn't do *wink, wink*

Katie McCaul said...

Love it! I hate doing things I would "never" do...but we all have those lists.
IKEA really? I still hate it!

The Strickland Gang said...

I guess it all comes with the territory of growing up ... because we are about the same!

Jodie said...

Hey, aside from taking a geeky accounting class :) I think our lists of "never's" are quite similar. Scary thought, eh? Arizona is mildly warmish, huh? Riiiight....

joanna said...

Things I said I'd never do...but did:

(1) Go on a mission because I thought I would have to cut my hair (because only fugly, short-short-haired girls go on missions.)

(2) Let my kid off the pew in church;

(3) Be a "working" mom;

(4) Stop listening to Def Leppard. (Yes, I really did it. I stopped, about 18 years ago.)

(5) Marry a guy that wasn't carrying a briefcase every day to work. The briefcase must have been symbolic of something, I'm not sure. But I knew he'd have to have one. (HHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAsnortHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAhahahahah)

Grant and Candice said...

You really caved on the Crocs? Seriously? Just can't bring myself to do it.

Nate and Karen said...

WOW! That definitely gives me something to think about. Why do we always end up doing those things we swore we never would? Hahahaha the things you believe when you are young.