I'm what I like to call a creature of habit. My husband calls me obsessive compulsive. Tom-A-to, Tom-ah-to. So what if I check each window in the house to make sure it's shut and locked at night. So what if I check each door in my house a minimum of 3 times each night before bed to be sure they're all locked. I also unplug things at night and I check the stove and oven to be sure they're not left on to reduce the chance of a house fire. I think that's perfectly reasonable.
And who's to say that brushing my hair in a certain pattern and a specified number of times each time it's wet isn't totally rational. That's normal, right? And washing it in the same pattern with the same number of scrubs and rinses is totally rational as well.
Doesn't everyone check on their kids before they go to sleep at night and put their hands on the kids' chest to make sure it moves up and down properly for at least 2 breaths? Everyone does that, right?
Listen, I'm a numbers person. Always have been, always will be. When I was in high school, I used to memorize friend's phone numbers by making up equations using the digits. Like Emily's number was 3861 and I learned it by this 3 - 8 + 6 - 1 = 0. Or Natalie's was 4836 and I remembered it because 4 is half of 8 and 3 is half of 6. That's normal, right? (PS, where we lived you only had to dial the last 4 numbers - yeah, small town USA)
So I ask you - creature of habit or obsessive compulsive - you be the judge.
Tuesday, June 30, 2009
I get my boxer shorts at Kmart in Cincinnati - We're not going back to Cincinnati, Ray
Posted by Toby and Emily at 30.6.09
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
so I dont do most of those things....but I TOTALLY put my hand on my kids backs to make sure they are breathing!!!!!!!! Im so happy to find out that Im not the only one!!!
I think everyone has ocd to some extent...so NO WORRIES!!!!!!!
Ummm yeah you have OCD my friend. It's ok though I think everybody does just with different stuff. At least yours is for safety. BTW Day Girl's on poops and toots!
I might have to go with OCD on this one! :D
What, its not normal to count the features on people's faces while they're talking to me and they have to add up to a number ending in 0 or 5? I thought it was. I'll have to say its definitely creature of habit!
Since I share very very similar "creature of habit" qualities as you (with the exception of the phone number thing, Bennett harasses me all the time about doing the others), I like to refer to them as exactly THAT - "habits." Now, when it comes to switching the lights on and off a pre-determined amount of times everytime you enter a room...you've crossed the "crazy" border in OCD land. But for now, we're safe. Right? Right?!!
UM... ok.. I am saying a little OCD.. however I am a little myself. I do not check things like you or brush and wash my hair in the same way.. you could chalk this up to "ROUTINE" not OCD.. however.. I am a OCD cleaner. can't go to bed with a dirty sink, can't stand not having the silver on the sinks shiny. Hate not having things in order! So call it what you will! I don't think you are OCD! Everyone has their Quirks!
It depends on where you think you got your "habits". If you think I rubbed off on you, then you are OCD. Otherwise, you are a Type A personality sans OCD.
LOL. Ok, I was with you all the way up til the phone number thing then you lost me. I must agree, a little OCD!
Post a Comment