Monday, April 6, 2009

Faith, Family, Scriptures, Temple

As I'm sure most of you are aware, last weekend was General Conference for our church. Click HERE to listen to the archives. For my non-LDS friends, General Conference happens twice a year and the prophet and his counselors speak on various gospel topics during a series of 4 2 hour general sessions over 2 days.

At our house, we play a game in an attempt to get Tysen to listen to conference in some fashion. We have a list of key words we want him to listen for and each time he hears one of the words, he gets a piece of candy. This year the words were Faith, Family, Scriptures, and Temple. The candy of choice was jelly beans. He did so good! He was coloring his little outlines of ties for each of the speakers and shouting out the words when he heard them and consuming far too much sugar.

On Sunday there were 3 talks in a row on the Temple (I wonder if that means it's important or something). About half-way through the 2nd one he stopped shouting out the word "Temple" and I asked him if he was still listening. He said "yeah, but I'm sick of jelly beans now". So in October we'll try a little more variety with the candy menu.

On a moderately unrelated note, I have to come clean about something. I have a serious problem. And I mean a SERIOUS problem with cursing. I'm a Day and it's deeply embedded in our DNA. I don't swear in front of my kids, for the most part. Mostly it's at work, but considering how much of my time I spend there, it's a lot. I've been reading the Book of Mormon and I'm in 2nd Nephi currently in the Isaiah chapters (yawn) so I was flipping through my scriptures to read random things that were highlighted and I came upon Mosiah 4:30. And it reads:

But this much I can tell you, that if ye do not watch yourselves, and your thoughts, and your words, and your deeds, and observe the commandments of God, and continue in the faith of what ye have heard concerning the coming of our Lord, even unto the end of your lives, ye must perish. And now, O man, remember, and perish not. (italics added)

Well, crap! So I'm now trying to phase out the naughty words that come so quickly to my tongue. I think it will be a slow process. Not sure a cold turkey approach would work for me. Please, wish me luck. I know I'm going to need it.

5 comments:

Jodie said...

Ah, the Day cursing vice! I'd have to say I'm guilty as well. What do you do? I've tried replacing my usuals (damn/hell) with other words like, "suckness" or simply "mother." I truthfully don't know what's worse! It all sounds bad - especially with my super-cool replacement words! GOOD LUCK.

Katie McCaul said...

You are awesome! I need to change my words too! Good luck...thanks for sharing that nice scripture.

Sara said...

Gotta love our blood lines... don't know if u can be held accountable for this.. I mean it's literally in your blood! HA! Good luck! I am still working on this... Wes continues to tell me we don't live in a trailer park!

Mary said...

Maybe you should have a naughty word jar. You'd be rich in no time!

joanna said...

Oh, hell! I wish I hadn't read that. Now I remember I'm supposed to feel guilty about my potty mouth.