Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Because I've had a hard few weeks at work

Here are a few things that have been bothering me of late:

1. If you refer to your annual accounting information as "the box" I can tell you before I even begin that I'm not going to be happy with you.

2. I don't know what it means when you say "give me the max" in reference to pretty much anything. I don't know what "the max" is and there's nowhere on any form issued by the IRS where I can check a box that says "the max"

3. If you bring in a years worth of accounting in "the box" 13 days before the filing deadline for your business tax return, don't say "we'll see you on the 15th". It's not gonna be done, honey. There are about 50 clients ahead of you who actually got us their info in a timely manner and it wasn't in "the box".

4. Let's just avoid any words containing the letter "X" and go from there. (i.e. box & max)

5. If you see me around (at church, the grocery store, etc) don't say "so, are you working a lot of hours this time of year?" Is that honestly a question that needs to be asked? I've considered packing a suitcase full of clothes, putting up a cot or hammock in my office, and washing up in the sink in the mornings - is that enough hours for you?

6. Probably a worse question is "it must be hard not to see your kids". Um, DUH YOU IDIOT!!!! My response is usually "well, it pays the bills" which is true, but the reality is I don't know what the proper response is to that comment without cursing.

7. If you make a hundred and something thousand dollars a year and your total charitable contributions for the year were a measly 50 bucks, I think you're a selfish jerk (I actually think you're something worse than that, but I'm trying to keep it clean - members of my ward read this blog after all). I know LDS people are a prone to give a little more than the average person to charity. That whole 10% thing. But there's got to be something you think it worthy of giving to. Cancer research, the Humane Society, a battered women's shelter, public education, Goodwill - SOMETHING YOU SELFISH JERK?!?!?!

On a lighter note, I'll share a couple of fun things about the kids. Audrey has now figured out how to unlatch the gate which we put up to keep her contained in the livingroom/kitchen area. She is obsessed with the gate being shut. If someone leaves it open, she goes over and pulls it shut and hooks the latch. Usually she ends up on the wrong side of it and goes exploring. At least it keeps the dog in one area of the house. She's so stinkin' cute!

The other day Tysen came over and gave me a hug. That was nice. Then he started Pillsbury Dough Boy poking me and said "mom, your belly is squishy - it feels like there's cotton inside - like the cotton at Build-A-Bear that goes in their bellies" Nothing like a 6 year old to make you feel like a million bucks. I took the opportunity to tell him it was his fault my belly felt like that because he lived in there and before that it wasn't squishy.

It's been 85 degrees every day for the last week and the weather is fantastic. Toby and the kids are going hiking over spring break in a few weeks and Kenlynne (Toby's fabulous sister) found an awesome baby hiking backpack thingy for 10 bucks at Savers (you know the big things with the metal frame and the baby seat in it that you strap to your back). It weighs next to nothing but it's big and comfy for Audrey. It's in perfect shape - I love a good deal! With the warm weather I have to retire my kids' winter clothes now after a whopping 6 weeks of them being worn. Which is fine because I LOVE shopping for new clothes for my kids! Out with the old and in with the new!

7 comments:

Mary said...

OH children... My favorite is right after you have your baby and they ask when the other one in there is coming out.

Jodie said...

Love it. I'm sorry you're working such crappy hours and it must be really hard not seeing your kids (haha), but I sure enjoy the posts that result from it! You make me laugh - every time.

Keep up the good word (on all fronts - work, home, posting funny things, etc.)

Marci Jolley said...

I LOVE shopping for clothes too!! I actually just went to San Tan Village today. Have you been to The Pumpkin Patch?? Also, I LOVE LOVE LOVE Goodwill and Savers (even though the DI is way better).

That's funny all the questions that people ask you. Hopefully I didn't ask any of those when I saw you. lol

joanna said...

That's right, Boo. Just get it out. Tell 'em how it is.
It is a tough time of year, but you're doing an awesome job and you know it. Your kids will catch up with you again on April 16th.

The Greenwoods said...

How funny! My boys poke my stomach too! I think they are shocked at how far their fingers can go into my body. Maybe they are afraid they aren't going to get them back!! You couldn't have said it better though--nothing like your son making you feel like a million bucks!!!

On a side note--thank you for the airplane Valentine's idea! We decided to throw Brandon an airplane birthday party this year and I knew that I had to copy your craft! Thanks for sharing!

Darcy and Eric said...

You are too funny! I loved this entry! SO are you busy at work? I'm confused! HAHA!

Jodie said...

Emily - I need your email address! Go to my blog and leave it will you? This is much more important than spending your precious away-from-work hours with you family, okay? Kidding...but I still need it.

Tax season is nearly over...you're almost there!!!