I have to brag about my kids for just a minute. Why? Because they're wonderful - and it's my blog so I'll write what I want.
Last weekend, Audrey started walking! Finally, I know. She's 13.5 months old, but she's finally decided to walk. Just a little bit now and then. She is still in the stage where she prefers to crawl because that's what she's used to, but she is capable of walking. I'm sure in a week or so she'll be running circles around me and I'll be longing for the crawling era. She has also mastered crawling both up and down the stairs. Which is awesome because now I don't worry quite so much about severe head trauma.
Now, onto my little man, Tysen. His Kindergarten teacher called me the other day - which automatically made me nervous for fear he had severe head trauma or something of the like. The conversation started with the teacher saying, "obviously, Tysen is a very bright child". Hearty sigh of relief at no lasting brain injury. She told me that she believes our sweet boy is gifted. Which every mother believes of her own children, but to hear it from an educator just gives you that nice, warm, validated feeling. She told me that basically he's bored in class, especially during language and reading because he's beyond the capabilities of the other children. So now he's going with one of the first grade classes for the reading block of the day. He's reading chapter books (yes, he's 6) and so he'll probably be more advanced than most of the 1st graders too, but it'll be better.
She also pulled some strings to get him into the AR program (accelerated reading, not accounts receivable for all my accounting buddies). It's a program they almost never let Kindergarten age kids into, even very few 1st graders. So they give him books to read, he reads them several times, then he takes a computer-based test on the book. And she wants to have him tested for the school district's gifted program at the end of the year. I'm so proud of my little guy! He'd better grow up to be some kind of freakish genius and make a ga-zillion dollars and share with me!
Saturday, January 24, 2009
Here's lookin' at you, kid(s)
Posted by Toby and Emily at 24.1.09
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
That is so awesome!! You definitly have bragging rights there. I love the AR comment, I LITTERALY lol.
Wow! That is impressive!! Go Tysen! Just my luck my kids will get my brain, and be in resource! But I will love them just the same! HA
Congrats Tysen! No pressure Audrey :)
LOL! about what Mary said. Seriously, we already knew Tysen is a genius, so now the educational system is just reinforcing the fact.
The walking stage, eh? That's so fun to see them toddle around with arms out like Frankenstein. Now onto Tysen - that's amazing! I've heard he's a little smarty-pants. But genius? Wow. Good luck to his future educators in keeping him engaged and excited about learning! Hopefully he'll go for "Rocket Scientist" over something like "Tractor Operator."
That is AWESOME... great.. now can you or your gifted son fix my blog.. I have somehow deleted my blogs that I like list and now I have lost touch with them and can't get them back because I am NOT GIFTED! and can't figure out this blogging thing still.. HELP! can you email me directions?
That is so cool! Good for you Tysen...you must be a great mom, I need some help so please start giving up your tips.
Holy crap! I read a chapter book for the first time last week! Guess I better step-up my game...
Honestly, that is VERY cool! I'm impressed! GO TYSEN!
Post a Comment