Well, today is a very sad day. I've been moping around all morning. My mom and dad have been here for the last week and they left this morning to go to my sister's house. You may think I'm crazy (some of my co-workers do) but my parents are among my favorite people on the planet. I had so much fun with them here and I miss them like crazy. My mom is my best friend (just behind Toby, of course and right up there at the top with Joanna and April) and I'm really sad that they're gone now.
I tried, in vain, to convince them to buy a "snow bird" house here to spend the winters. They left 8 inches of snow in their yard while we had nice 70 degree weather the whole week. Wouldn't you want to live here for the winters? Winter here is GORGEOUS!!! But they were not convinced even after hearing from me that they should to it every 87 seconds for 7 days. Apparently I need to work on my persuasion techniques.
So last night they were getting ready for bed with the plan to leave this morning. I put Audrey in bed at her normal time and mom and dad hugged her before I took her upstairs to her room. I laid my sweet baby down in her crib and she smiled at me and flipped over on her belly to snooze the night away. I went in my room to cry for a few minutes. For anyone who knows me, I'm a cryer so this is not all that unusual. But I sat in the rocking chair in our bedroom and cried on behalf of my little girl who isn't old enough to know she's supposed to be sad that Grandma & Grandpa were leaving. I cried the tears she would cry herself if she was old enough to understand. I closed my eyes and asked Heavenly Father to bless my heart to stop aching. Then I felt horribly shallow and selfish because there are people in the world praying about much bigger problems than me being sad.
I pulled myself together to go spend the rest of the evening with them. We just hung out and watched TV. Then it was time for bed. The only person who loves my mom as much as I do is my little boy. After he said goodnight to them, he went upstairs and we could hear him sobbing from his room. I went upstairs and just lost it. Seeing your kids upset is always painful, but when you know EXACTLY how they feel, it's even worse. So I sat on his bed and hugged him and we cried together for a few minutes. Then I told him it was time to say prayers and he said "How (sniff) am I (sniff) supposed (sob/sniff) to do that?" because he could hardly talk. He calmed down a little bit and in the middle of his prayer he said "Heavenly Father, please bless me and my mom to not be so sad". Is that not the sweetest thing you've ever heard?!?! He's such a tenderhearted boy. It's just the same as when he was 2 years old - he wishes everyone he loves could live in a giant house all together and no one would ever have to leave.
This morning they officially got on the road for the rest of their trip, so I'm having a bummer day. Am I a crazy person or something? Am I the only person who is this attached to my family?
Tuesday, November 11, 2008
Honor Thy Mother and Father
Posted by Toby and Emily at 11.11.08
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Aww Tysen is such a cutie. That prayer was so cute!!! I hope you all start feeling better over there soon.
FIRST OF ALL, I thought that I was your best friend. WOW, the things I find out reading your BLOG! EMILY! DAY! RYAN!
Second, Tysen is a sweetheart. I know how much he loves Mom and I hope she can visit him more often now that they are "retired." Heaven help us the day they put in their mission papers.
I was just as attatched as much or even more than you to my mother. I preferred not to call her so that I wouldn't be depressed the whole day. I don't know if it ever got easier (well, up until she had the stroke now everything is different). I know it is not the same but at least you still have family here that knows how you feel and loves every one of you.
I guess we know where Tys got his tender heart from. You'll be ok, I promise. Take it from someone who's lucky to see her daddy once a year.
Post a Comment