First off, let me confess that I am a hoarder. Not as bad as the ones you see on tv, but if it weren't for Toby forcing me to get rid of stuff, I would keep everything . . . forever. I guess I just like stuff.
I am also terrible with forming irrational emotional attachments to these items I desperately want to keep forever for no good reason. Now that I am re-reading this I sound like a freak. I guess I'm ok with that.
So probably 10 years ago I was at Old Navy in Orem, UT with my bestie, April and we bought these cute lunch boxes to be our scripture cases. Not sure why or where the idea came from, but we bought them nonetheless. So I've had this cute green lunchbox as a scripture case for over 10 years. I have no idea if April still has hers or if she would even remember what I'm talking about (my guess is no), but I remember it well and have continued using it all this time.
So this lunch box/scripture case reminds me of my bestest friend and also reminds me of a great time in my life: my first year in college, having some freedom, enjoying school, enjoying my job, enjoying my new life out of high school. And somewhere in the depths of my twisted psyche, the lunchbox represents that. Freedom, reckless abandon, fun and games, etc.
Fast forward to last week. Toby had a field trip for the Jr high to the Grand Canyon. He needed a lunch box for the first day of the trip and we couldn't find Tysen's insulated lunch box at the time and we were in a hurry. So I grabbed my scriptures out of the Old Navy lunch box and handed it to him with full expectation I would receive it back unharmed (or else he wouldn't have touched it).
Ten minutes later his lunch was packed in the box and sitting on the table waiting for him to take it with him. That's when I noticed that he WROTE HIS NAME ON MY BELOVED LUNCH BOX!!! WITH PERMANENT MARKER!!! He defiled the last remaining representation of a carefree and wonderful time in my life. And I can't fix it. It's permanent. He was in HUGE trouble (and still is).
The funny thing is, he is absolutely baffled as to why I'm so upset about a lunch box. It seems like a small thing, right? I mean, it's just a decade-old hunk of green canvas fabric and zippers, right? Well, to me it was more and now it's gone, much like that portion of my life.
Don't get me wrong, I adore my life. I love my husband, I love my kids, I love our home, I love my job. Things are wonderful, really. But I think we all have times we look back on with a certain fondness and a little sorrow that we'll never get to live thru again.
That's what the lunchbox is to me. The embodiment of times past I'll never get back, and friends I no longer see as often as I'd like to. I miss my lunchbox.
Monday, May 3, 2010
The Lunch Lady
Posted by Toby and Emily at 3.5.10
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
Oh dear. I am a hoarder, too. My children are usually the culprits when it comes to defiling my sentimental belongings (emphasis on the mental). Luckily after moving 15 times in 9 years I have let many things go and don't get TOO upset anymore. I understand completely though. My husband would be in trouble. (By the way, that is a fabulous idea for a scripture case.)
I had a friend I called Lunchbox once. Sometimes I miss him too.
I get it. Your past isn't really gone though because it's a part of you, and Tysen has just added his name to it! I would rather have a world with Tysen AND Emily than just Emily. ;) wink wink
Remember that dance club? (Club Axis?) I got into so much trouble taking you there - damn you for not showering before you went home! - and I realize how retarded that whole thing was anyway. I had to about FORCE you NOT to buy the LEOPARD PRINT MINI SKIRT and black HALTER TOP (skank top) at the mall before the club...
But I really miss those times being independent and retarded, even though I wouldn't give up Hubs and the Boy right now for anything.
It's also too bad my roommates were all over 27 so your borrowed ID couldn't have been less suspicious. I wonder if the club bouncer got fired. (His boss goes into the club and says, "Hey, what are all these high school kids doing in here?")
I did buy the leopard print mini skirt, but you stopped me short of the halter top. Bless your heart. The ID I borrowed also had the height listed at 5' 9" or something insane like that. Even in those boots, 5' 6" would've been a stretch! That was fun though! Maybe we should've gone with that dude to the rave. How life could have changed.
That was hilarious Emily!!! I think we all have things that we are emotionally attached to, due to our memories! You keep that green (and unfortunately now deflied) lunch box as long as you want!
I daresay you need to continue with a post into your past regarding the comments I've read of Joana's. Pink mini leopard print skirts and halter tops. Now THERE'S a post!
I'll be waiting...
Oh that is so funny and also very sad at the same time! Eric would have been in much trouble also!
Post a Comment