After nearly a year in AZ, I've finally gotten a calling at Church. It was so nice to just be able to go to church each Sunday and not have to worry about preparing a lesson or keeping anyone entertained or what I was going to wear (who cares what you look like sitting in the back row of Relief Society). It was also nice not to have to worry about mid-week activities and what the kids or adults would enjoy doing while getting something spiritual out of it. However, those days are now gone. I have been asked to serve as the Sunbeam teacher in our ward. For those of you unfamiliar to the Church, this entails being responsible for the 3-4 year olds for 2 hours each Sunday. At least I still don't have to worry about what I'm going to wear, right? Part of the time they are in with a larger group of kids for sharing time (where they have a short lesson and talks by other little kids) and singing time (where they sing, obviously). The rest of the time I will have them alone in a small room to try and teach them a lesson. Yes, me and a groups of preschoolers in a room together. This can't be good. Let me also add, for those who may not know me well, that I'm not really a sensitive person or maternal in any way. I didn't have younger siblings to care for and I never babysat as a kid. I mean I have kids of my own, but other people's kids really aren't my thing (incidentally, some days my own aren't really my thing either). Please, please pray for me - I'm going to need all the help I can get!
Sunday, July 20, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I think you'll LOVE your new calling! You will be surprised at how funny those kids are and it will only take a second for you to love them all to death! Good luck, you'll be great!
Because I know you, I am afraid for those children.
LOL!
Just joking. You'll have a good time. Get maternal, dang it!
We were in the Sunbeams while we lived in Arizona!!! It is sometimes a frustrating calling--but truly, those little kids are awesome!!!! You will grow to LOVE them!! Besides it's fun to teach lessons like "I'm thankful for Fish", "I am thankful for water" and "I'm thankful for my ears"!! Those are some of the classics!! You will really learn how to cater to people who have the attention span of about 2 seconds! It'll be great though! You'll love it! (Besides, you will have many future posts to write about--because they truly say the funniest things!)
Post a Comment